England, with its powerful economy, centuries-old traditions of entrepreneurship, and high living standards, has long become a point of attraction for business people from all over the world. Every year, many foreign nationals try to come to the UK to do business, work for hire, or study here.
In most cases, to obtain the status of a resident of the United Kingdom, the applicant needs to know at least a basic level of English, document his education, work experience and fulfill many more strict requirements of the British Immigration Service. Except for the few immigrants who are eligible to apply for the Tier 1 Investor Visa – UK investor visa.
What is a Tier 1 Investor visa?
The Tier 1 UK Investor Visa is a long-term visa granted to wealthy foreigners who wish to relocate to the United Kingdom. The minimum investment for this visa is £ 2 million. At the same time, the more you invest, the faster you will get permanent UK residence. For example, you can apply for a permanent residence permit after 2 years, and become a citizen after 5 years.
To obtain a Tier 1 Investor visa, you must invest your funds in an English company, go through thorough due diligence and open an investment account. In return for your investment, you get virtually unlimited freedom in what you can do in the UK. The first visa is issued for 3 years and four months. It can be extended for another 2 years if you have not received permanent residence before that.
The investor visa is distinguished by several important advantages that the British authorities provide to him for his generous contribution to the economic development of the state.
7 advantages of an investor visa to England
- This is one of the fastest immigration categories. The whole procedure – from applying to receiving travel documents – takes no more than 3 months. The decision of the authorities on your candidacy is made within 15 working days. You can significantly shorten this period if you pay an additional £ 500 for an expedited application process.
- The investor can include in the visa application a husband, wife, or unregistered partner, as well as minor children.
- The applicant is not required to prove in any way their professional qualifications, provide educational documents and take a language proficiency test.
- In the UK, an investor and his family have the right to work, do business, get an education, or do nothing, and enjoy a comfortable and safe life in a modern European country. In exchange for your investment, you and your family gain access to high standards of health, education, and safety.
- It is profitable to invest in shares of operating British companies. It is you who choose where you will invest your funds and does not cease to control your investments: after the expiration of the visa or after the registration of a permanent residence permit, it will be possible to sell the acquired assets and not only return the money, but also earn.
- The investor visa is valid for 3 years and 4 months if you applied outside of England, and 3 years if you are applying for a visa from the United Kingdom. After the expiration of the term, it will be possible to extend it for another 2 years or immediately apply for a permanent residence permit – it depends on the size of your investment.
- Those who have invested more than £ 5,000,000 have the opportunity to become nationals after 5 years of residence in the British kingdom. Thus, an investor visa is one of the fastest ways to obtain a UK passport.
There are only a few restrictions on the professional activities of investors in the United Kingdom:
- Investors are not allowed to work as doctors or dentists without proper education and/or work experience in a similar specialty in the UK;
- You cannot earn money as a professional athlete or coach, as there are other visa categories for this;
- Whatever investors do in England, they cannot qualify for government subsidies and benefits.
Tier 1 investor visa applicant requirements
- UK Investor Visa applications are only accepted from foreign adults over 18 years of age.
- The applicant must have between 2 and 10 million pounds sterling. The funds required for investment can be deposited in an English bank or bank accounts outside the country. The main thing is that there are no restrictions for their translation and use in England. If at the time of filing your application your money has been in your account for less than 2 years, you need to prove that it was received legally, for example, as an inheritance or dividends from your business. If you manage your spouse’s or partner’s money, you may need a marriage certificate or proof of the duration of the partnership, as well as a statement from the owner of the money confirming your right to freely dispose of it.
- You need to open an investment account with a UK-controlled financial institution and provide a confirmation letter from an authorized bank officer. Before starting cooperation, British banks check their clients for reliability, which will serve as an additional argument in your favor.
- The applicant for a UK investor visa is required to attach to the application a certificate stating that he has not had a criminal record in the last 10 years in countries where he has spent more than 12 months.
- Citizens of some countries will need to show the results of a tuberculosis test to obtain a Tier 1 Investor Visa.