Immigration. Travel. Living.

Getting an employment visa – work permit in Sweden

All workers in Sweden who are not nationals of a nearby Nordic country must get a work visa. Before visiting Sweden, any citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA must first have a job offer and a work visa. An employee cannot reside or work in Sweden without a current working visa. They could be qualified for either an EU Blue Card or an Intra Corporate Transfer (ICT) Permit depending on their line of work or their place of origin.

Flag of Sweden

The EU blue card

For highly trained professionals, an EU Blue Card is a combined work and residence visa. A university degree, five years of professional work experience, or employment in a certain profession are requirements for applicants.

Permit for Intra-Company Transfers (ICT)

An ICT Permit is required for expatriates who are moving to the Swedish branch of a firm they now work for outside the EU. Only non-EU citizens must apply. Only staff members in management or specialized roles are eligible for this authorization. Similar to the EU Blue Card, proof of your eligibility for the ICT Permit must come from both you and your company.

Sweden’s requirements for obtaining work visas

To get a work visa in Sweden, both companies and individuals must fulfill specific conditions. The criteria for hiring include:

  • A current passport.
  • Job offers with conditions in line with Swedish collective bargaining agreements or the industry norm.
  • A wage that is at least 13,000 SEK per month before taxes or is comparable to the job.
  • Offer of employment that includes health, life, and social security insurance.
  • Evidence of accommodation.
  • Leaving the nation after the job relationship ends.

Application method

Either online or in person at the embassy or general consulate, you may apply for a visa to Sweden. Regardless of the kind of visa, the procedures for obtaining a work visa in Sweden generally include the following:

Applying online

Online applications are simpler and improve the likelihood that your application will be decided quickly. The following actions are involved in submitting an online application for a work visa in Sweden:

Receive a job offer

You will need to receive a job offer from a company in Sweden before you can get a work visa. Ten days before you were given the job offer, the business had to advertise the post in Sweden, the EU/EEA, and Switzerland.

The application is started by the employer

Your company has to finish a job offer before applying for a work visa. Your company will need you to provide them with personal information, like your name, date of birth, citizenship, level of education, and email address.

Check your email

You will get an email from your company with instructions on how to apply for a work permit when they’ve finished the job offer. You should apply for their visas at the same time as your own if you wish to bring your family to Sweden.

Include documents

You must provide a power of attorney and copies of your passport pages with your application. These papers need to be scanned or taken a picture of.

Payment and application submission

The application cost may be paid using a Visa or Mastercard. You should apply to pay the money. You and your employer will both get emails confirming the submission of your application.

Timely processing of applications

The Swedish Migration Agency will decide on your application after you have submitted the necessary information and supporting documentation. The processing time will be shortened if you have included all the relevant information in your application.

Details required for a residence permit card

If you are given a permit for a period longer than 90 days, you will be given a residency permission card. The residency card, which includes information like fingerprints and photos, serves as proof that you are entitled to remain in Sweden.

Getting a response

The application decision will be sent to you and your employer through email. Additionally, remember to bring your passport.

Consular application

Follow these procedures to apply at an embassy or consulate-general.

Book an appointment

Make an appointment with the embassy before visiting the consulate or embassy.

Complete the application

Complete the work permit application form and sign it at the bottom. The application form will provide information on what you need.

Include the necessary documentation

You must additionally provide the documentation from the list below with your application:

  • Offer of employment.
  • Opinion from the appropriate union.
  • Copies of the pages in your passport.

Send the application to a Swedish embassy or general consulate.

Send the application to the Swedish embassy or general consulate in the nation where you are now residing. Find the closest embassy or consulate general in your adjacent nation if you are unable to apply there.

Await a response

You will be notified through email of the embassy’s choice on your application.

Contact us