Immigration. Travel. Living.

Denmark: residence permit obtaining

Flag of Denmark

Denmark has an excellent quality of life and a high standard of living; there is a very slight difference between rich and poor. In summary, life here is good.

Before you can start working [including voluntary or unpaid work] in this European country, you may need a residence and work permit depending on your nationality.

Even though residence permit application in Denmark is a long and strenuous process, this guide will reveal some of the easiest ways to get a Denmark residence permit, even if you’ve never been to the country.


Who needs a Danish residence card?

Citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, and other Nordic countries may live and work in Denmark without a permit.

However, foreign nationals in this category who intend to live in Denmark for more than 90 days must apply for an EU residence documentThird countries nationals from countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland must apply for a residence and work permit before they can be allowed to work and stay in Denmark for more than 90 days.

Unlike a travel visa, you can apply for a residence permit after your arrival. If you are already living in Denmark, you can apply for this immigration document at any Danish police station, Danish Immigration Service, Citizen Center of the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration [SIRI], or online at NewToDenmark.

Under Regulation (EC) No. 380/2008, residence cards issued after the 20th of May 2012 shall contain a digitally recorded electronic chip with the photo, signature, bio-data, and biometrics of the beneficiary.

This would allow the government agencies supervising immigration and travel security to combat forgery, misuse of residence cards, terrorism, human trafficking, illegal immigration, and other transnational crimes across Europe.


Types of Danish Residency Card

Most Danish work and residence permits issued to foreign nationals from the EU/EEA/Nordic countries and Switzerland are usually for employment and independent business purposes.

While permits issued to third-country nationals are usually for immigration purposes. There are a handful of programs where interested foreign applicants can enroll to receive a Danish permit.

Some of the most popular programs for foreigners are the: Positive List, The Pay Limit Scheme, The Corporate Residence Permit Scheme, and The Greencard Scheme.


1. The Positive List

Foreign nationals living in Denmark can get authorization to stay via the Positive List Program. This program was set up to create jobs for qualified professionals and fill in the shortage in the Danish job market living in the country.

It is also one of the easiest ways to attain EU residency, as long as you qualify for the program. Check a full list of in-demand professions to see if you can get a residency card via the Positive List Visa.


2. The Pay Limit Scheme

Foreigners can also get a corporate residence permit if they are employed by a Danish company or a company affiliated with a Danish entity.

Unlike the Positive List, there are no special requirements like minimum standards of education, annual salary, or the type of job. As long as you earn above DKK 375,000, you can apply for a Pay Limit Scheme.


3. The Scheme of Fast Track 

The Fast-track Scheme is another program similar to the Corporate Scheme. It allows certified companies to employ highly qualified foreigners to work in the country once their application is approved.

It is called the “Fast-Track Scheme” because it allows the employer to take care of the whole visa application process on behalf of a foreign national. This program is faster and gives the employee more flexible working hours whether he/she lives in Denmark or overseas.


4. The Greencard Scheme

The Greencard scheme is a point-based program that calculates the chances of an applicant finding work in DenmarkYou can get a Greencard once you provide documented evidence to prove you can financially provide for yourself and your family member for up to 12 months in Denmark.


Application Process

Applying for a Danish residence card is straightforward. You will have to provide documentation and biometrics for your applicationIf you live abroad, you can apply at any Danish consulate in the country you are living in.

Once you’ve applied with the required documents and paid the processing fee to either the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) or the Danish Immigration Service, you will receive a case order ID.

Each application form for Denmark Residence Permit contains a brief guide on the application process, a list of required documents, and an eligibility checklist.

Once you complete the form and submit it with the required document, it would be sent to the Finnish immigration service for approval. Within 45 and 90 days, you will receive messages that would notify you of the progress of your application.

Contact us to receive a European residence permit!

Contact us