Citizens of the USA might visit Canada for 6 months on a temporary resident visa. To resettle in Canada, you must choose the appropriate method of immigration, which involves obtaining permanent resident status after entering the country. After determining the way, you need to collect the required documents and apply for a visa. You can submit these documents by creating a GCKey account, or by contacting one of the visa centers in Canada. Citizenship can be obtained after 3 years of permanent residence in Canada.
Basic requirements for visa documents
Collecting documents for a visa is a crucial stage. It determines whether the candidate will be permitted to enter the country. While the set of documents is always unique for each immigration method and individual situation of candidates, there are several general requirements for visa documents.
People who enter Canada for more than six months must undergo a medical examination. It is because it is not customary in Canada to provide medical care to immigrants.
A preliminary medical examination is required for the following workers:
- Healthcare and clinical laboratory workers;
- Nurses, nursing home workers;
- Medical students;
- Preschool, primary, and secondary school teachers;
- Other professions related to interaction with people;
- Agricultural workers who have been living for more than six months in the last year.
Business immigration to Canada
Canada is an attractive destination for entrepreneurship. It is ranked 7th in the list of the best countries to do business. The Canadian government is interested in the immigration of foreign entrepreneurs and investors who bring money into the country. In addition to knowledge of the local market, business conditions, an entrepreneur must know English or French well and have a business plan. Provinces can offer their requirements for business immigration, which are different from the federal ones.
Start-up Visa program
The program is designed for young entrepreneurs with a project that creates new jobs. Up to 5 founders of the company and their families can obtain a visa. Basic business requirements:
- Each of the founders has at least 10% of the controlling stake;
- Applicants and the selected entity hold more than 50% of the controlling stake;
- Get support from one of the accredited Canadian investors who can invest in a new business;
- Knowledge of the language at the CLB 5+ level;
- Availability of sufficient funds from 10,164 USD / person;
- At the time of obtaining permanent residence, the business must operate in Canada.
Self-Employed Persons Program
The program is designed for individual entrepreneurship who are committed to contributing to the sporting and cultural life of Canada. Basic requirements for the candidate:
- Have experience of participating in cultural or sports events of a global scale or be self-employed in the field of culture or sports (at least 2 years within the last 5 years);
- The intention to work for oneself in the field of culture/sports and contribution to the development;
- From 35 points in the test (age, education, experience);
- The results of medical examination, a certificate of no criminal record.
Obtaining Canadian Citizenship
A Canadian passport gives immigrant rights that are not available for a permanent resident – the right to visa-free visits to 184 countries, stay outside Canada without time restrictions, a simplified procedure for hiring, the right to vote. Consideration of the application costs 505 USD. Obtaining a Canadian passport will take about 12 months.
Basic requirements for obtaining Canadian citizenship
- A minimum of 3 years of residence in Canada within the last 5 years (can be calculated using a calculator);
- Permanent resident status (permanent residence);
- Have no tax debts for the last 3 tax years;
- Level of English / French CLB4 +;
- Knowledge of culture, history, laws, geography, economics, and state symbols of Canada.
The process of obtaining Canadian citizenship
- Get acquainted with the requirements for documents, fill out all the necessary forms;
- Pay the fee;
- Send the demanded set of reports to the mailing address of a suitable office;
- Submitting fingerprints to the police or an accredited organization;
- Passing a test for citizenship (exam in history, socio-political structure, etc. Canada) by invitation (for applicants from 18 to 54 years old);
- Personal interview after the test at the immigration office;
- The decision on the award of citizenship and the taking of the oath at the ceremony of obtaining citizenship after a maximum of 3 months.
Documents for obtaining Canadian citizenship
The set of documents depends on who is a candidate for citizenship – the main applicant, his child, or other categories. Before submitting documents, you must check the list of documents and requirements for them on the official website. The basic documents for an applicant over 18 years of age:
- Citizenship Application for Adults (CIT 0002);
- Checklist of documents (CIT 0007);
- 2 photos with the applicant’s full name on the back;
- Form for sojourn outside Canada (CIT 0177)
- Copies of all foreign passports for 5 years;
- Confirmation of knowledge of English / French CLB4 + for applicants from 18 to 54 years old (certificates, references from language courses);
- Identity documents (driver’s license, health insurance card, pension certificate);
- Tax return for the last 3 years upon request;
- Proof of payment of the state fee (adult – 505 USD, children under 18 – 80 USD).