Immigration. Travel. Living.

The International Experience Canada (IEC) 

The program was open to help young people who wish to live and work in Canada temporarily. The IEC program gives people a taste of Canada and can be the first step towards permanent residency. 

Canada city

IEC selects candidates in three categories: 

  • Work leaves Young professionals 
  • The international cooperation 

Young people between the ages of 18 and 35 from one of 36 eligible countries can now create a profile and, if eligible, be included in their country’s candidate pool for their chosen category or categories. 

Work leave Canada will issue an open work permit to those who successfully apply through the work leave category. 

This is a flexible work permit for those who: 

  • have no job offer; 
  • would like to have two employers or more; 
  • want to work in several places; 
  • want to make some extra money for travel. 

An open work permit allows people to work in most jobs in Canada. However, those who work in the health sector or with vulnerable people may need to undergo a medical examination with an approved doctor. 

Young professionals 

The category “young professionals” is intended for those who: 

  • must obtain job offer relevant to the candidate’s education; 
  • plans to work for the same employer in the same place throughout their stay in Canada

The job offer must be paid and candidates cannot be self-employed. Successful candidates receive a special work permit from an employer, which means they can only work for a specific employer at all times and a location specified on the permit. The employer must comply with all labor laws of the province or territory, including minimum wage requirements. 

A job offer must also be classified as a National Occupational Classification Code (NOC) qualification level 0, A, or B to be considered conducive to “professional development.” 

In some cases, NOC C jobs may be eligible if applicants include a higher education diploma, certificate, or degree with their work permit application. 

These documents must be submitted in English or French. International cooperation (Internship)

 Students seeking work experience in Canada can apply through the International Cooperation category if they: 

  • registered at a higher education institution; 
  • have a job offer or employment/internship in Canada; 
  • need a place of work to complete their studies; 
  • will work for the same employer in the same place during their stay. 

Canada offers a work permit for a specific employer through this category, so successful applicants must remain with the same employer for the time specified on the work permit. 

Conditions for IEC Program

The internship must be directly related to the applicant’s field of study. The salary must be following the labor laws in the province or territory where the internship will take place. Labor codes determine whether an internship is to be paid for or not. Employment standards and labor laws apply to all foreign nationals in Canada. 

IEC candidates and their employers are required to request information on labor standards in their specific province or territory. Stay in Canada after IEC It is possible to turn IEC into a path to permanent residence.

Canadian Experience Class is an immigration program for people who have at least one year of work experience in Canada. IEC members may also be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC) or Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC) programs. All three of these immigration programs are managed through the Express Entry system. Express Entry is a system in which candidate profiles are ranked based on human capital factors such as age, education, language ability, and work experience. 

Applicants receive a score based on a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) and are entered into the Express Entry member pool. The most highly rated candidates are selected to apply for permanent residency through regular Express Entry draws. Experience gained through the IEC can help improve the chances of an Express Entry candidate being invited to apply for permanent residency; Canadian work experience is highly rewarded according to CRS.

Contact us