Immigration. Travel. Living.

How to get residence permit in Spain

All others need to apply for a short-term visa or temporary residency in Spain, if they are going to live and work in this country. To stay in Spain for 90 days, you have to obtain a short-term visa. However, if you want to stay in the territory of Spain longer, you must acquire a residence permit.

Spanish Temporary Residence Permit is an official document that gives you opportunities to live and work in Spain and Schengen countries for up to five years.

Types of residence permit in Spain

The type of the residence permit in Spain depends on your own intentions regarding why you want to immigrate to this country. There are six types of residence permits in Spain.

Non-lucrative Residence Permit

This type of permit is for those who want to reside in Spain but not to work. With this document you can stay in Spain for a year and renew it after this period of time. The only requirement is that you have enough money to reside in the country without participation in any economic activities. Other documents required for this type of residence permit are a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate. You can also complete a joint-application and take your spouse and children with you. Moreover, your kids are allowed to attend a school in Spain.

Business Residence Permit

To acquire this type of permit, you have to start a project in Spain that is in the interest of the economy of the country. You must create employment and your project has to be innovative to contribute to the socio-economic development of Spain. To get the permit, you have to send your business plan to the Spanish Commercial Office. Business permit allows you to stay in the territory of Spain for two years.

Investor Residence Permit

Not many documents and requirements must be met to get this type of residence permit. It is for those, who invest at least 500 000 dollars in Spanish real estate. The investors have to acquire the Golden Visa. This program was launched by the Spanish Government in 2013. You can take your immediate family with you.

Student Visa

This type of permit allows you to live in the country during your studies. This document lets you conduct research in the territory of Spain. Visas are normally valid for two years. Except this, you have to meet other requirements such as adequate funding, medical insurance contract, certification for the enrolment and clear criminal backgrounds. To obtain this type of residence permit, you can apply for it to the appropriate authorities in your country.

Work Residence Permit

If you are going to reside in Spain because of an offer of employment, you need to apply for a work residence permit. There are a few types of working visas depending on the nature of the employment. For example, if you get a job offer as a highly qualified worker, the process of the residence permit acquisition will differ from the situation with the regular offer. You also can draw the EU blue card, which allows you to work in EU countries.

There is also a work permit in Spain for a person who is self-employed (freelancer). It is granted for one year and can be renewed until five years of successive extensions. After this period, you can apply for a long-term residence permit in Spain.

Residence Permit as a Family Member of the EU Citizens

If you have a relative who is a EU citizen, you can apply for this type of residence permit. This document can be formalized after constituting a civil partnership with the non-EU national or a marriage. The parents and children of the EU citizen are able to obtain this type of permit (they can live and work in Spain).

Spanish Residency Requirements

The general requirements depend on the residence permit you are applying for. They include the following:

  1. NIE number (a tax identification number in Spain);
  2. the proof of sufficient means;
  3. the clear criminal background;
  4. the proof of medical insurance.

General procedure to get residence permit in Spain

The procedure for residence permit acquisition is this:

  1. You have to personally deliver your application at the Spanish Embassy in your country.
  2. The Embassy sends your application to the authorities in Spain.
  3. In case your application is approved, the Embassy will call you for a visa (you have 30 days to pick up the document).
  4. With your permit you have to enter Spain by the date indicated on your document (usually 90 days). In the airport the police have to stamp your passport.
  5. Within 30 days after you arrive in Spain, you have to apply for the residence permit in the province of Spain where you are going to live.
  6. Remember, you have to renew your residence permit from time to time. Your initial visa usually allows you to reside in Spain for only a year. But the residency in the country can be extended for an indefinite period.

Contact us