Immigration. Travel. Living.

Best countries to immigrate for architect

Immigration - airplane

Some many organizations and magazines publish reviews of architects’ salaries. The Landscape Architects Network (LAN) has published its findings on the best countries for landscape architects. Among the top nine countries for a high-paying landscape architecture salary in Canada (median salary between C $ 80,000 and $ 100,000), the United States ($ 77,000), Australia (AU $ 41,943 to AU $ 84,447).

UAE (AED 216,000). up to 264,000), Singapore ($ 78,000), Switzerland (61,148 Swiss francs per year), the United Kingdom (30,000-40,000 pounds sterling), Germany (32,348 euros per year) and China (between 108,000 and 324,000 yen).

Countries that need architects

  • Canada

By law, you are not allowed to work as an architect in Canada or use the title of “architect” unless you are licensed as a Full Member of the Regulatory Authority in the province or territory where you intend to work. However, there is no need to register or be licensed to work with an architecture firm if you work under the direction of an architect. The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) is the state union and voice of architecture in Canada.

To increase your chances of success in practicing your profession in your future country, try contacting the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB) and the provincial or territorial regulatory body in the area where you intend to settle and work and inquire about the specific procedure for possible costs and time required to obtain a permit. Also, ask about the steps in the licensing process that you can take before and after immigration.

To practice this profession, you need to have a good command of English or French (depending on the province of destination). Even if you speak English or French well, it will be helpful to improve your language skills and enroll in language courses while you are in your home country and continue after moving to Canada. You can evaluate your language skills by taking an online self-assessment test on the websites.

The CACB demands certain educational documents, such as your degrees and original transcripts, to estimate your knowledge against Canadian standards. These documents must be sent directly by your academic institution.

It is much easier for you to collect and organize official education, work, and identity documents while you are still in your home country. When contacting them, also inquire about any other documents you need to bring to work or continue your studies, and check the translation of these documents. You may need to use the services of a professional translator and interpreter in Canada.

  • United States

You cannot practice architecture in a USA  jurisdiction without obtaining a license to practice in that jurisdiction, and there is no mutual registration between foreign countries and the USA, except for Canada. Each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, has an Architect Registration Commission that regulates the profession in their jurisdiction. It includes the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), a not-for-profit organization that comprises legally-established Architectural Registration Boards.

NCARB offers an alternative to certification through the so-called “Certification Route for Foreign Architects”. At a minimum, this program requires:

  • Education: have a degree in an accredited/approved / officially recognized architectural program that leads to registration/credentials in another country.
  • Registration: hold an identity card in a foreign country that has a formal mechanism for incorporating disciplinary action into architectural practice.

There are many options for obtaining a US work visa for architects. Even if you are not a licensed architect, you can still apply for a United States work visa for architecture. To qualify for a work visa, you must have sponsorship from a US employer, unless you are looking to run your architecture firm through an E-2 visa.

You do not need to be licensed to obtain a work visa to work in architecture in the United States. However, it is important to note that if you are not licensed and will be working for an architecture firm, you will have to work under the direct supervision of a licensed architect.

  • Australia

In general, all architecture qualifications obtained outside Australia must be assessed in terms of equivalence to Australian qualifications, as most overseas architecture qualifications are not recognized in Australia. Currently, the Australian Architectural Accreditation Board places only a handful of non-Australian distinguished degrees from New Zealand, Hong Kong, and Singapore that they consider being equal to the requirements of an Australian architect.

All other degrees are assessed through their rigorous screening system. As in the United States, architectural practice is regulated from state to state. Unlike the United States, the Australian states only offer title protection.

However, you will still need to take the APE exam to be registered and fully recognized here. But just because you don’t have an officially recognized degree doesn’t mean you can’t work in the industry. Experience is more important than a sheet of paper, and any experience will give you an edge over new graduates from local universities.

The majority of architectural companies will not hire you unless you have a permanent resident state. A company may want to sponsor your work visa, but there are many paperwork and fees that put most people off. For more information on the legal requirements for working in Australia, you should contact the Australian Department of Immigration.

Contact us