A sophisticated education system in the United States ensures high-quality, consistent student preparation, as well as high employment prospects and rapid career growth in the future. The American education system has gained recognition throughout the world, and US universities consistently occupy leading positions in global rankings, annually choosing the best universities in the world.
Of course, like any academic system, studying in America has certain weaknesses. However, the numerous advantages of studying in America are so obvious and impressive so individual shortcomings of the teaching process are completely leveled against their background.
The strengths of American education
Why is an education in America considered today the highest quality, prestigious and promising? What is the secret of such popularity? Indeed, in the world, there are a wide variety of academic systems aimed at high-quality student training. The educational sector in the United States has the following clear advantages:
- The inseparable connection between education and science in higher educational institutions favorably distinguishes the American educational system from other educational systems in the world. Universities in the United States are entire research centers, where the academic field is firmly consolidated with scientific research. Thanks to this, university students have the opportunity to acquire fundamental knowledge and practical research skills. Students are often taught by the best scientists in the country, engaged in both scientific and teaching activities.
- American school teachers have a vast, proven arsenal of teaching methods.
- Graduates of universities focused on preparing for real life and work, have broad practical skills that allow not only to quickly find a job in their specialty but also to make a rapid professional career after completing college. At the same time, valuable practical skills allow the graduate to immediately find a job with decent wages and quickly compensate for the financial resources spent on the institute. According to statistics, the average salary in the country is approximately 54.5 thousand dollars per year, which makes America one of the largest countries with the highest wages.
- The study of a variety of disciplines in America is based on an individual approach and the development of students’ independent thinking.
- The educational programs of colleges and universities are structured in such a way that students can independently decide which disciplines and courses they need to study in a particular academic semester. They can also individually determine the number of hours spent on a particular subject. Studying in this way at the university, on the one hand, is comfortable, but on the other, responsible. So two tasks are solved at once: the development of responsibility and the development of a positive attitude towards the learning process.
- The country has the largest concentration of the best universities that have graduated many famous students (presidents, founders of the world’s largest corporations, politicians, etc.). Studying in America is prestigious and promising.
- And in addition to direct training in an educational institution, students have the opportunity to acquire useful acquaintances and connections for life. Both local and international students can freely choose the university they like because there are more than 3,000 higher education institutions of various types in the United States. Among the 18 million students at American universities, about 1 million are international students, which indicates the highest popularity of the US education system among foreigners. Each applicant can select a college taking into account their financial capabilities, abilities, and tasks.
- Diplomas and degrees from institutions in America are recognized and quoted virtually throughout the world.
- American colleges have the highest funding, carried out from various sources (asset management income, student donations, profits from commercial activities, etc.). This financial security of public and private institutions in the academic field leads to an amazing material base, which, in turn, provides excellent opportunities for student development and high-quality training.
Students of American universities are actively involved in social events, so the daily study of general and specialized subjects at the institute does not seem boring and monotonous.
Besides, foreign students gain experience of independent living. The classic campus provides students with a fairly comfortable environment that compares favorably with the conditions in our student residences. The developed infrastructure of student campuses creates all the necessary conditions for educational and research activities and exciting leisure for students.
Weaknesses of American education
Among the weaknesses of the educational process are most often called the lack of comprehensive development of the student and the low creativity of the process of studying subjects. The fact is that in the American educational industry there is indeed a focus of study on the direct preparation of the student for future work. The academic sphere is more focused on obtaining professional specialization and practical skills for the forthcoming work.
Schoolchildren lack the creativity of teaching, and even at this age they cannot unambiguously determine the area of their future specialization, therefore, specialized education in the middle level, to the detriment of other disciplines, does not always benefit students.
For many international students, the disadvantage is also the limited employment opportunities on a student visa. Only foreign students are allowed to work directly on the campus (campus), that is, on the very territory of a higher educational institution, no more than 20 hours a week. And despite the vast structure of these campuses, finding a job is not always easy.
But again, this drawback also has a positive side. Students who have come from other countries with the aim of receiving a quality education can fully focus on the educational process without being distracted by extraneous factors. But upon graduation, they will be able to quickly find a decent job and compensate for the financial costs of their studies.
Thus, the educational sector in the United States has many benefits that attract students from all over the world. And some of the shortcomings of the system, which concern mainly secondary schools, are completely offset by the high quality, prospects, and prestige of education.