Immigration. Travel. Living.

Saint Kitts and Nevis: relocation guide

Immigration - Saint Kitts and Nevis

The larger of the islands, St Kitts is filled with bars, clubs, hotels, and golf courses making it a popular destination for tourists. Nevis, the smaller island offers tranquillity and solace to those searching for themselves. Whatever your reason might be, this might be just the place for you. 

If you are planning to stay here for at least 3 months, you may be eligible for a free visa entry if your country has a visa waiver agreement. However, you may choose to apply for a visa if your duration of stay is more than 90 days. Not everyone traveling to the islands require a visa, some foreign nationals from specific countries can reside for a maximum of 90 days without a visa. Others may qualify for an e-Visa or a visa on arrival.

On or the ministry of foreign affairs website, you can check your eligibility. If you are ineligible, then you will have to apply for a visa at the embassy nearest to you.

The guide outlines how to move to St Kitts and Nevis, covering all you need to know about visa types to how you can live permanently on the islands.

  • Visa Types
  • Permanent Residency
  • How to apply
  • Requirements

Visa Types

Its visa policy offers numerous visa types and permits that foreigners can choose from, depending on their purpose of travel. Travelers can apply for a long-term visa or a short-term one, depending on their duration of stay.

Tourist Visa

A type of short-term visa issued to persons traveling for a short time for tourism, visiting friends and families, or sightseeing. This can be a single entry r multiple entries, which allows no business activities. A tourist visa is obtainable in one week and can be extended.

Visa on arrival/ e-Visa

This is the easiest visa to apply for. There is an online application portal if you meet the criteria; otherwise, apply to the embassy. A traveler who is eligible for a visa on arrival does not need to apply for it, there is an option for a visa on arrival.


Transit Visa

This is for travelers traveling through the country using a connecting flight.


Business Visa

Foreigners who desire entry into the island for business purposes such as participation in the exhibition, meetings, conferences, book launch, seminars, or any commercial activities may apply for this. It grants its holder however a single entry. 

green grass field near body of water under cloudy sky during daytime

Permanent Residency

When you are finally here and done with the visa and permit. The next step to residing even longer is by obtaining a permanent permit. Expats who own properties or land and wish to say longer can apply for this. To apply for residency, you will have to pay an application fee and upon approval, you will pay a one-time fee. A permanent residence permit allows you to stay longer but you will have to keep renewing it. 

How to Apply

If you wish to stay longer and have access to certain rights as a citizen, then obtaining citizenship is your best option. For a foreigner who wants to become a citizen, there are four options:

  • By descent: be a citizen’s child born to at least one citizen’s parent
  • By naturalization: live on the island for a minimum of ten years and meet all conditions
  • By investment: invest a considerable amount of money in real estate to become an investor

Since dual citizenship is recognized, you will not be required to relinquish your other citizenship. To apply for citizenship, go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and fill out an application.


An applicant seeking citizenship must meet certain requirements. Some of the requirements are:

  • Be of legal age
  • Have adequate knowledge of the culture and constitution
  • Possess good character
  • Have a reliable source of income
  • Make a $400,000 investment in a real estate property that has been approved (citizenship by investment)

Contact us