Immigration. Travel. Living.

Immigration destinations: Poland

Warsaw city

The presence of the Pole Card simplifies this procedure.

Immigration process

The intricacies of the procedure for immigration to Poland depend on the reason. In general, the immigration scheme looks the same in all cases. It can be conditionally divided into 5 stages:

  1. Registration of marriage with a citizen of Poland or documentary confirmation of family ties of a different nature, employment, obtaining a study permit.
  2. Opening a national visa type D.
  3. Registration of a temporary residence permit.
  4. Registration of a residence permit, and after that permanent residence.
  5. Submission of an application for granting Polish citizenship.

Obtaining a visa

You can cross the Polish border with type C or D visas. Schengen C is opened for tourists, labor immigrants, repatriates, as well as people who come at the invitation of relatives. The D national visa is opened for foreigners planning to reside in Poland for a long time.

List of visa documents

The package of documents for obtaining a visa includes the following:

  • filled out application form;
  • a valid international passport and a photocopy of all its completed pages;
  • 1 color photo of the established sample;
  • health insurance policy valid throughout Europe;
  • a document confirming the solvency – a bank account statement, income declaration for the last six months, a certificate of salary, etc.
  • employment contract, certificate from educational institution, birth certificate, invitation from the Polish side, etc.

A national visa can be valid for 6, 12, 24 months. The period of stay in Poland, respectively, is 3, 6 months.

Residence permit and permanent residence

The initial temporary residence permit in Poland is issued for 36 months, with the possibility of subsequent renewal. Most often, a residence permit is opened for themselves by repatriates, workers, students or foreigners moving as part of family reunification. Residence permit gives the right to subsequent obtaining a permanent residence and citizenship. Permanent residence is granted after 5 years of residence on the basis of a residence permit. Travel outside the country at this time must not exceed 10 consecutive months.

Reasons for relocation to Poland

man holding globe while on sit

Polish law provides for the following grounds for immigration of foreign citizens:

  • Pole’s card;
  • family reunification;
  • employment;
  • training;
  • entrepreneurial, investment activity;
  • police school.

The Pole’s card

The Pole’s card confirms that the foreign immigrant has Polish roots, as well as his belonging to the Polish nation. This document is not a visa and does not give the right to permanent residence. The card is valid for 10 years.

The advantages of the Pole’s card include:

  • the ability to apply for a national visa using a simplified procedure;
  • the right to find a job without a work permit;
  • free education;
  • opening and running your own business in Poland on the terms provided for residents.

In order to receive a Pole’s card, a foreigner must have perfect command of the Polish language and pass an exam in Polish history and culture. After that, the immigrant has the right to apply for moving to Poland, obtaining social benefits and citizenship. Moreover, Pole’s cardholders can obtain citizenship after 12 months of permanent residence.

Family reunification

Foreigners whose relatives are Polish citizens can apply for immigration to Poland for the purpose of family reunification. In this case, the Polish side will need to:

  • prove by documentary relationship with a foreigner;
  • financially ensure the move and residence and to provide the consulate with an appropriate written commitment;
  • confirm the solvency.

The host country can be not only Polish citizens, but also persons with a Pole’s card who have lived in the country for at least 2 years.


people doing office works

In order to get a job in Poland, an immigrant must:

  • be of legal age;
  • find a job, agreeing to be hired;
  • conclude an employment contract with job offer;
  • obtain a work permit (this rule does not apply to students who graduated from Polish universities or police schools);
  • open a work visa.

An employer issues a work permit for an employee. Before that, he must justify to the authorized body the impossibility of accepting a citizen of Poland for this vacancy. If the result is positive, the immigrant receives a residence permit for a period of 15 months with a subsequent extension to 5 years. After this time, he can apply for permanent residence, and after another 36 months – for admission to the ranks of Polish citizens.

Freelancers constitute a separate category of employees. They can get a job in Poland through an intermediary company (incubator) that selects remote employees for Polish companies. This type of employment allows you to get a Pole’s card for 36 months.


Foreigners planning to start their own business in Poland should know that:

  • Only citizens of the country have the right to obtain the status of an individual entrepreneur (without organizing a legal entity).
  • According to Polish law, the founders of a legal entity can be one or more persons.
  • An enterprise that includes a foreign founder has the same rights and obligations as an enterprise established by residents.
  • Opening a fictitious business in Poland doesn’t make sense. Since a year after its establishment, the first tax audit is necessarily carried out at the enterprise, the absence of financial and economic activity is revealed, and the enterprise is compulsorily liquidated.
  • Foreign entrepreneurs receive a residence permit for up to 2 years. Under the commitment that the company will generate income, the residence permit can be extended for another 5 years. The non-resident then has the right to apply for Polish citizenship.

Admission to study

Among foreigners under the age of 30, admission to study is one of the most common ways to immigrate to Poland. Education is in Polish or English, only on a paid basis. Graduates of local universities and colleges may not receive a work permit, since they are automatically given 12 months to do so. Then they issue such a permit and work in the country for 5 years. At the end of this time, specialists who already have a residence permit will be able to relocate to Poland for permanent residence.

It is quite easy to enroll in most Polish universities. You just need to have a sufficient score in the certificate. Entrance exams are not provided, with the exception of those applicants who apply for government grants or scholarships.

Contact us