Immigration. Travel. Living.

Getting an employment visa: Work Permit in Mexico

To legally work in Mexico, you must first obtain a work visa, which can be obtained in one of two ways: by accepting a job offer from a Mexican company or by establishing a business there. You are then hired as an employee by your own company. In Mexico, work permits are issued by the Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM).

Many businesses in the United States and elsewhere have sites in Mexico or desire to outsource some of their operations and labor there. If you want to hire someone to work in Mexico, you’ll need to know how to obtain a work visa. Following the proper procedure will ensure that your employees are compliant and productive right away.

Types of work visas in Mexico

Mexico’s immigration and work visas are administered by the National Institute of Immigration. Every foreigner wishing to work in the country is needed to get a work visa. Working for a Mexican corporation, for instance, requires a resident visa with employment permission. Individuals working in Mexico for a foreign company for less than six months can acquire a visitor’s visa with work authorization instead of a work permit.

There are three types of visas available in Mexico:

Tourist visa

Tourist visa holders are allowed to stay in Mexico for up to 180 days for any reason other than lucrative activities such as paid employment.

Temporary resident visa

This visa is for foreign nationals who wish to spend more than 180 days in Mexico. People with a temporary resident visa can live and work in Mexico for up to four years with a Mexico work visa, in addition to the Mexico work permit.

Permanent resident visa 

A permanent resident visa is required for those who wish to live and work in Mexico permanently. Permanent residents who have close familial ties to Mexico or who have lived in the country for an extended time are also eligible to apply.

Requirements to obtain Mexico work visas

The majority of workers who accept employment at your Mexican location will need a Visa de Residencia Permanente, also known as a Visa de Residencia Permanente. However, not all employees will be able to meet the requirements, since they must have family in the country, a substantial monthly payment, or four years of continuous status as a temporary resident. Companies may want to consider filing for a temporary residence permit for employees who have been invited to work in Mexico or who own property or have close family ties to the country.

While some of the criteria alter between the two options, the following are some of the most typical documents required:

  • Visa application form
  • Valid passport
  • Copy of migratory document
  • Photo ID
  • A request by a public or private organization
  • Documentation showing finances, education, work, and relationship to a Mexican citizen

Application Process

A temporary resident visa with work authorization is required for foreign citizens who wish to work in Mexico for more than six months. As the employer, you must apply to the Mexican Institute of Immigration. If the application is granted, the employee must apply for the appropriate visa at the Mexican consulate in the applicant’s place of business. Once you or the employee receives notification that the visa application has been approved, the employee must visit the embassy within 15 days to obtain the requisite visa.

Employees receive a temporary resident visa and work authorization that is valid for 180 days after completing this procedure. The employee has 30 days after arriving in Mexico to register with their local immigration office and obtain a temporary residence card that is valid for up to four years. When the card expires, the person must either apply for a permanent resident visa or leave Mexico.

Other important points to consider

While a temporary residence visa can be converted to a permanent resident visa, foreigners with visiting status cannot transfer their status to employment status. Individuals who want to work in Mexico for a firm can apply for a work permit and stay in the country until the permit is issued by their home country’s consulate. They will have to leave Mexico to obtain the permit, after which they will be able to apply for a residency visa.

Contact us