The People’s Republic Of China popularly referred to as China. China is the most populated country in the world and the demographics of China are just astonishing. Although the demographic profile of China depicts a super-sized population with adults and children as her main contributors with little traces of youths.
China Demographics By Population
The Chinese demographic statistics almost doubled from 540 million to 969 million. This made the Chinese government panic and instituted the “one-child policy” in 1979. The one-child policy was very effective because it slowed the growth of a massive nation.
The newly experimented demographics of China made it easy for researchers to understand growth patterns in the Chinese population, gender imbalances, and dependency issues among the Chinese population.
In November 2019, The Chinese population hit over 1.4 billion, the highest in the world. China has been able to successfully administer resources because they’ve understood the need of the people by carefully collecting their demographic statistics.
The population density in China was 396 people/mi2 [153 people per Km2] on a total land area of 9,388,211 Km2. About 61 % (875,075,919 people) of the Chinese population is urban and the remaining 39% [564,2747,857] were rural.
Today, The Chinese Population hit 1,439,323,776 with a + 0.39% annual change.
China Demographics By Cities
In 1987, The government of The People’s Republic of China stated that there will be a national census that would be held every 170 years. Ever since, Chine has conducted 6 censuses in the years 1953, 1964, 1982, 1990, 2000, and 2010.
China has always been the world’s population for many centuries. With a huge chunk of its population coming from Hong Kong, Macau, and Shanghai. Here’s a table display the demographics of China by cities.
China Demographics By Gender
According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, The Chinese population demographics showcases a nation whose population is made up of the male gender.
Males make up 51.3% of China’s population, females make up 48.7% of the Chinese population and group sex ratio make 1.05% of the Chinese population. This makes the males outnumber the females with over 36 million people.
The total number of females in China amount to 701,076,434 and males expressed statistically amounts to 738,247,340. The female population of China has a life expectancy of 79.7 years and the male have a life expectancy of 79.7 years at birth.
According to the current demographics of China, both sex display a combined life expectancy of 77.5 years, this is one of the highest in the world. China also has an infant mortality rate of 8.4/1,000 live birth under the age of 5.
China Demographics By Age
The National Bureau of Statistics of China also declared the age ratio in Chinese demographics. The demographic transition in China has been stunning since 1876. Here’s a table containing the demographic profile of China:
Share of Total Population
|Total Age Group Population|
China has an increasingly aging population which is projected to skyrocket in the next 107 years. In 2030, 15.8% of China’s demographics will be 65 years or older. By 2050, a third of the population will be above 60 years old.
The age dependency ratio is the relationship between the dependent population and the working-age population. China has a highly productive workforce which makes its dependency ratio to be small. A higher value dependency ratio indicates a greater level of dependency.
You should know that the dependency ratio does not calculate labor force participation rates, just children and elders. A component of the population may be counted as “working age”. Working Age is part of a countries age group that is either unemployed or not in the labor force.
|China Age Groups||Share of Population||Age Group Population||Dependency Ratio|
|Children (0-14 years old)||17.71%||254,930,371||25.2|
|Working Class & Adults (15-64 years)||70.32%||1,012,131,229||N.A.|
|Elders (65+ years old)||11.97%||172,262,174||17.0|
|Dependency Ratio [Children & Elders]||29.68%||427,192,545||42.2|
The demographics report of China proves that the size of this aging population will surely cripple the social and economic gears in the system.
China’s one-child policy that was implemented in 1979 became highly ineffective in 2016, the demographic impacts of sharp change should is alarming.