Immigration. Travel. Living.

European blue card acquiring

European flag

Germany has been actively promoting this attractive immigration document. In 2017, Germany issued more than 85% of the total Blue Cards distributed in Europe. This means that an EU blue card is by far one of the easiest immigration documents to obtain.

The idea behind this initiative was to fill in shortages in Europe’s labor markets with third-country nationals, reduce bureaucracy, and promote unity among European countries by allowing easy movement of non-EU citizens between member states.

Are you planning to obtain a European Labor Card? Then you’re in luck because in this guide, we’re going to show you everything you need to know to successfully obtain this document.

If you use the exact steps and procedures we listed in this guide, then the entire process from registration to payment should be a breeze for you. 

Before we tell you how to get a European Union Blue card, let’s understand the concept of the EU blue card and why it is important.

What is an EU blue card? 

The EU Blue Card is simply an employment and residence permit for non-EU a national that is accepted throughout the continent. It is a standardized work permit that allows highly-qualified workers from outside the EU to live and work in any of the 25 EU countries that accepts it.

Although European Labor Card is not accepted in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Denmark, it is one of the easiest ways to attain citizenship is any European country of your choice.

It provides comprehensive socio-economic rights to third countries national geared towards issuing permanent residence and even EU citizenship to the beneficiary.

This special document allows the beneficiary to travel to any country in the European Union after 18 months of legal residence in the country.

One of the most amazing features of this document is that you can include family members in your application. The European Blue Card recipient and their family members can relocate to any EU Member State for employment as meant in the EU Directive.

Application eligibilities

The exact eligibility and requirement to obtain the document vary by category and applicant. An entrepreneur will have different qualifying criteria and are more likely to receive this document than a student.

Whether or not you are eligible to apply depends on the category that you apply for. As a Non-EU national, you can apply to anyone of these categories: skilled workers, researchers, students, vocational trainees, seasonal workers, intra-corporate transfers, or self-employed/entrepreneurs.

Once you’ve selected your preferred category, you must meet these requirements. You must

  • Have all the required travel documents needed to process your application.
  • Possess a Bachelor’s degree or 5 years of relevant professional experience.
  • Have health insurance for yourself and relatives that are coming with you.
  • Have a job offer in any country that accepts this document.
  • Work as a paid employee that earns at least 150% of the country’s minimum wage.
  • The European Labor Card does not accept self-employed work applications. You must present a work contract, legal agreement, or binding job offer in any EU country that will retain you for at least 12 months.
  • If the profession is regulated, you must prove that you fulfill legal requirements to practice your profession.

You can learn more about the European blue card eligibility here

Application documents

pile of printing papers

You’ll need to submit these documents with your application form before your application can be processed.

  • Your completed application form
  • Four passport photographs on white background
  • A valid passport with at least two empty pages
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • Your university certificate or professional certificate
  • A work contract or proof of employment (This document must state that you will be employed for 12 months)
  • Proof of salary (it must 1.5x the country’s average salary)
  • Addressed declaration of intent from your employer
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Proof of health insurance
  • A photocopy of your criminal record for the last five years.

Where can I apply for a Blue Card? The application process for an EU card is very straightforward.

Application process

Your application can be completed by either you or your employer. In some countries, your employer must submit your Blue Card application to the competent national authorities to process the request.

While others require that you set an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate in your home country. On the day of your appointment, you are required to submit your European Labor Card application and other necessary documentation.

Depending on the rules and regulations in that country, you will be required to pay an application fee. The cost of this document differs between countries.

You are mandated to pay €110 if you are applying in Germany, €80 if you are applying in Luxemburg, and €881 if you are completing your application in the Netherlands.

It’s better that you find out the cost of applying for an EU card in your preferred country before you start your application. You can get more information on this from the country’s immigration website or Embassy in your home country.

Most applications are reviewed within 90 days. During this period, your application is being evaluated by the authorities and will be either accepted or rejected.

If your application is accepted and approved, you can pick it up at the Embassy or consulate in your home country and prepare for your journey. But if your application is turned down, you can file an appeal within three weeks of receiving the decision.

Blue Cards are valid for up to four years and can be renewed once it expires. European labor card also allows its beneficiary to travel and reside in any EU country of your choice (except the UK, Ireland, and Denmark) for up to 90 days.

Can I lose my card?

If a Blue Card holder loses his/her job, they have 90 days to stay in the country to look for work and claim their social security benefits. If they remain unemployed after 3 months, their European Labor Card may be revoked.

Contact us