The country is a member of the EU and is fully integrated into the European educational process.
Lithuania is among the top five countries with the highest number of educated people. Universities offer a wide range of disciplines taught in English. Studying in Lithuania for foreigners has many advantages. After completing their studies at the university, students receive European diplomas. This opens up wide opportunities for finding an interesting and in-demand job in the future, as well as building a successful career.
Lithuanian education system
Education in this state, as in any other European country, is divided into three main stages:
- Preschool education. It is possible to send your child to a Lithuanian kindergarten from the age of 3. The duration of such training is 3-4 years. During this time, your child will receive the necessary skills and knowledge from the kindergarten teachers for further admission to school. The main part of the educational program is created to develop logic, motor skills and counting. Preschool education in Lithuania is considered compulsory for all Lithuanian children, so it will not be easy to enroll your child in kindergarten.
- Secondary education. School education in Lithuania for foreigners is built on a non-core modular system. The duration of study is 10 years, after which the student can go to the college or technical school. The maximum knowledge can be obtained in closed schools and gymnasiums where scientific disciplines are taught, and the children themselves are engaged in research activities at an early age.
You can get a certificate of secondary education after passing exams, which include tests in two main disciplines: mathematics and the Lithuanian language, as well as one selective.
School education is free not only for local residents, but also for foreigners. You will have to pay only for accommodation.
- Higher education. It is possible at universities and colleges. In total, there are more than 20 public and 10 private universities in this country, where you can get a bachelor’s, masters or doctoral degree.
Duration of training:
- bachelor’s degree – 3-4 years;
- master’s degree – 1-2 years;
- Doctoral studies – 3-4 years.
The cost of studying in Lithuania for foreigners is the same as for local residents and on average ranges from 1.5 to 5 thousand Euros per year of study. Despite the fact that the cost of studying is relatively low, the prices for living here are quite high. For a year of living in a hostel, you only have to pay from 500 to 900 Euros.
Benefits of studying at Lithuanian universities
Studying in Lithuania for foreigners is not only an opportunity to get an international diploma, but also:
- Optimal prices for training. You don’t need to worry about how much it costs to study in Lithuania because you can get an education here for a fairly low price. Compared to such educational centers in Europe as the UK or Switzerland, studying in this country will cost you 2, or even 3 times cheaper.
- The dream of any technical student. In this state, you can get almost any specialty that will be related to biological, laser and nanotechnology, as well as mechanical engineering.
- Opportunity to get an education in English and Lithuanian. If you do not have the opportunity to learn the Lithuanian language, then you can easily find a university for yourself where you can get an education in English. Knowledge of the Lithuanian language is optional for admission to English-speaking educational institutions.
- Cheap accommodation. Prices for food, dormitory, public transport in this country are much lower than in other European countries.
- The opportunity to find temporary work for the entire period of study. You will not be worried about how much education in Lithuania costs if you use the European Work Permit program. With this program, you can work up to 24 hours a week and pay for your tuition or personal expenses.
- Chance to receive a monthly scholarship. For your efforts in studies, you can receive cash incentives in the form of a scholarship. Its size, of course, is small and ranges from 250 to 570 Euros, but this will be quite enough to pay for tuition or live in the country for a month.
- Notarized certificate.
- Application. Usually, they are made in the form of a questionnaire in a foreign language in an online form directly on the website of the selected university.
- Entry exams. The last stage before enrolling in a university is passing exams. You will be asked to take tests in English and two or three specialized subjects.
- Other documents. In addition to the application and the certificate, you will need other documents:
- a valid passport;
- Issued visa (to travel to this country you will have to apply for a Schengen visa).
Cost of education in popular universities
If you want to know approximately how much it costs to study in Lithuania, you can use the list below.
The cost of education in Lithuania for foreigners at:
- Vilnius University – from 1800 EUR per year.
- ISM University (Management and Economics) – from 1500 EUR per year.
- Lithuanian University of Health Sciences – from 2500 EUR.
- Kaunas University of Technology – from 2000 EUR.
You can find out exactly how much modern education costs in Lithuania on the official websites of Lithuanian universities.