Here you can enjoy first-class dining, shopping, and entertainment options, but at the same time, the costs of such a lifestyle will be several times less than in many other countries of the world.
Stages of immigration in Serbia
The main stages of immigration to Serbia are as follows:
- obtaining a residence permit;
- obtaining permanent residence;
- obtaining citizenship.
Residence permit and permanent residence
A residence permit is a document that confirms the right of a foreigner to long-term residence in Serbia. Permanent residence is the right to permanent residence in the country.
A person who has permanent residence in Serbia has almost the same rights as Serbian residents. A permanent residence card is valid longer than a residence permit card.
Obtaining a residence permit
Obtaining a residence permit is possible based on the law on foreigners, the last amendments to which were adopted in 2018.
The main reasons for obtaining a residence permit:
- purchase of real estate;
- opening a business in the country;
- marriage with a citizen of Serbia, as well as with a person who has permanent residence in this country;
- study; conducting research activities.
Most often, a residence permit is issued based on the acquisition of real estate, as well as the opening of your own business.
Documents for the residence permit
- The package of documents looks like this:
- International passport (it must be valid for at least another six months from the date of issuance of the residence permit);
- Medical insurance policy (voluntary);
- Proof of solvency (a specific amount is not stipulated in the law, but by default, it is considered a sufficient amount of 2,000 euros for 1 person, and 3,500 euros for a family of 3 people);
- Receipt for payment of state duty;
- Request for temporary stay;
- 2 photographs (30/40 mm). They must be certified by the seal of the photo studio;
- Registration at the place of stay.
Serbian citizenship can be obtained:
- upon birth;
- the applicant is a descendant of immigrants from Serbia (in this case, he has the opportunity to become a citizen of Serbia under a simplified scheme);
- the applicant has been living in Serbia based on a permanent residence permit for 3 years;
- the applicant is married to a Serbian citizen.
Birth and origin
If one of the parents is a citizen of this country, the child receives Serbian citizenship automatically.
Adoption of citizenship
Citizenship is issued based on:
- the age of majority;
- legal capacity and solvency;
- permanent residence in the country for 3 years.
Citizenship is issued based on a document confirming the fact of marriage. You should be prepared for the fact that the migration police will check the marriage for fictitiousness.
To obtain citizenship, it is required to provide evidence that the applicant is in danger at home.
A person is recognized as a refugee if he/she came from a country in which hostilities are being conducted. Also, a foreigner is a refugee if at home he is persecuted for his beliefs.
Foreigners who have invested in the economy, as well as benefactors, can apply for Serbian citizenship. If a person has made a contribution to the country’s economy in the amount of 70.0 thousand euros or more, he has the right to obtain citizenship in an accelerated mode.
The project of obtaining citizenship in exchange for investment is still under development. There are 3 likely investment options:
- Starting your own business;
- Investments in a real estate project (it must be approved by the Serbian government). The optimal investment amount is 250 thousand euros. The term is five years;
- Donation to the government development fund.
Depending on the type of investment, the foreigner will have to pay the cost of inspections: 7.5 thousand euros – for the applicant, 4 thousand euros – for his family members. If the grant of citizenship is denied, the fee is non-refundable.
Required documents for obtaining a Serbian passport
A more specific procedure for accepting citizenship, a list of documents and terms are determined in each specific case. But there is also general information available:
- Completed application for citizenship;
- A copy of the applicant’s foreign passport;
- The applicant’s birth certificate;
- 2 photographs 3.4 x 4.5 cm;
- Marriage certificate with a Serbian citizen;
- Police clearance certificate on the territory of your country;
- Medical certification on the state of health and the absence of HIV infection;
- Education document (high school diploma or higher diploma);
- Family composition documents (if any);
- Biography (like a resume).
Terms and cost of obtaining citizenship
On average, Serbian citizenship is issued in 6-8 months. But in some cases, foreigners have to wait 1–1.5 years for an answer. The state fee for filing documents is 145 euros.
Common reasons for denial of Serbian citizenship
Citizenship is denied if the applicant:
- seriously sick;
- hiding from justice;
- participated in military conflicts against Serbian formations;
- violated the migration regime.