A diplomatic visa is a special visa affixed on the passports of members of diplomatic missions, persons invested with emergency diplomatic missions, delegates to international conferences, members of the government and high-ranking officials of the state, senior officials of the department of foreign affairs sent for official purposes, diplomatic couriers, etc.
Diplomat visas are:
It is customary to grant diplomatic visas when persons eligible for them travel on private business. Diplomat visas are issued by the Foreign Office and diplomatic representatives respectively. Diplomatic visas can be given as a courtesy and on a non-diplomatic passport. The passports of technical and service personnel of diplomatic missions, and officials posted abroad who are not entitled to a diplomatic passport, as a rule, are affixed with a service visa.
A diplomat visa does not give any advantages concerning customs privileges granted solely based on laissez-passer and does not impart diplomatic qualities to the person who receives it. It only means that special attention and respect should be shown to this person. And the formalities of his crossing the border should be reduced to the strictly necessary minimum and carried out most courteously.
Categories, types, and periods of validity of visas
A diplomatic visa (type “D”) is issued to a foreign citizen – the holder of a diplomatic passport, entering the country on official business.
A diplomatic visa is issued:
– To the heads of foreign states, governments, family members, and members of foreign official delegations, – a multiple-entry visa for up to 30 days, unless otherwise provided by an international treaty that has entered into force in the manner prescribed by law, or by the principle of reciprocity;
– A person holding a diplomatic or consular post in a diplomatic mission or consular office of a foreign state. An official representative office of an international organization in the country that enjoys immunities and privileges. Also, members of his or her family (spouse and children under 18, and also to dependent parents) multiple entry visa for a period of up to 1 year;
– For a foreign diplomatic courier – single, double or multiple-entry visas for up to 90 days. Unless provided by an international treaty that has entered into force in accordance with the law, to which the country is a party, or under the principle of reciprocity.
Extension of a visa is made for a period of accreditation or up to 1 year or based on reciprocity, with the entry of data into the Information System.
A service visa (type “O”) is issued to a foreign citizen – the owner of a service / official passport, entering the country on official business.
A service visa is issued:
– A foreign citizen entering at the invitation of the state authorities of the country on official business – single, double, or multiple-entry visas for up to 90 days;
– A member of the administrative, technical, and service personnel and consular office of a foreign state in the country. Or an employee of an international organization’s representative office. Also, members of his family (spouse and children under 18, as well as dependent parents) multiple-entry visa for a period of up to 1 year;
– To a foreign courier carrying diplomatic mail. If he does not have a diplomatic passport – a single, double or multiple-entry visa for up to 90 days unless otherwise provided by an international treaty that has entered into force per the law.
The extension of the visa is made for the period of accreditation or up to 1 year or based on reciprocity, with the entry of data into the IS.
An investment visa (type “I”)
It is issued to an investor or the head of a foreign investment company and members of his or her family carrying out investment activities in a specific country. And who has submitted the necessary supporting documents certifying the contribution to the economy of that country?
An investment visa (type “I”) is subject to re-issuance for a period of up to 3 years in the presence of a positive opinion of the authorized body in the field of investment policy on the applicant’s compliance with the status of an investor.
Dates of a diplomatic visa
Diplomatic and service visas entitle their holders to stay in the country for up to 90 days after the end of the mission for which they were accredited by their states. According to the order of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cult, as well as with international agreements signed with the country or to which it attached.