Best countries to immigrate for teachers

Parent Category: ROOT Published: Friday, 04 June 2021 Print
Books and apple on table

Immigration as a teacher: Best countries by salary

A teacher's salary varies depending on many factors, the type of institution being one of them. State educational institutions are financed by taxpayers and have not the highest, but stable salaries.

Private institutions, directly from the client, and the size of the salary largely depends on commercial success, in turn, associated with a successful combination of local data, therefore, the salary spread is greater here.

On average, the difference in salaries between these two types of institutions is not significant. In the United States, for example, unionized teachers receive more money than others. Consider teacher salaries by country.





Low paying

$ 1,710

Average pay

$ 3,520 ($ 19.0 per hour)

High paying

$ 5,370


Plus an annual bonus of about USD 5,000.




Monthly in Canadian dollars

Monthly in US dollars

Low paid

From $ 3,500

$ 2 520

Average pay

From $ 5 350

$ 3 850


From $ 8,370

$ 6,020


The annual bonus for specialists is about 5 thousand Canadian dollars.




Monthly in Australian dollars

Monthly in US dollars

Low paid

A $ 3 850

$ 2 510

Average pay

A $ 5,900

$ 3 840


A $ 9 540

$ 6 220


The annual bonus received is on average AUD 1,800.


Great Britain


Monthly in pounds sterling

Monthly in US dollars

Starting salaries

£ 1 980 - £ 2 470

$ 2,470 - $ 3,090

Primary and Middle School Teachers

£ 3,130 - £ 3,790

$ 3,900 - $ 4,740

High school teachers

£ 3,440 - £ 5,890

$ 4 300 - $ 7 370


Average annual bonus = £ 1,300.




Monthly in Swiss francs

Monthly in US dollars

Average salary

₣ 5 820

$ 5,990


The amount of the annual bonus is on average CHF 1,500.




Monthly in NOK

Monthly in US dollars

Average salary

NOK 42 760

$ 4 150


Approximately NOK 11,000 as an annual bonus


Some differences in work norms

In most cases, teaching licenses and certificates are required by government agencies in certain jurisdictions. The level of education must be at least a bachelor's degree.


Working hours, based on the 40 hours per week standard, are slightly different in some countries:

  • In the UK = 37 hours;
  • In Australia, primary school teachers spend 41.5 hours a week at work.


Time spent by the teacher exclusively for teaching:

  • In Norway, about 3 hours a day;
  • In the USA, about 6 hours a day.


In primary school, the number of working hours is higher than in the middle.


Many teachers, of course, would like to work abroad. There are many advantages to this: to gain new experience and learn about different approaches to learning, see the world and diversify your life, and sometimes even make money. How can this be done? Which teachers have this opportunity? Let's take a look at the main options.


1. Volunteer programs

Some organizations and countries offer to go on a volunteer program to work as an English teacher (even more volunteer programs are not related to training). Often, the concept of "teacher" is conditional, that is, they can take with only one good knowledge of the language and without pedagogical or linguistic education. Money is not paid here, but usually, they provide housing and food. Sometimes there is a small scholarship. Even less often they pay for the road. Duration: from two weeks to a year.


First of all, English teachers and event organizers are in demand, and sometimes teachers of exact sciences (with knowledge of the language)


2. Internships

Outwardly, they can be similar to volunteer programs and short work. You work, for example, as an assistant teacher or educator and get a little money (scholarship) and new experience. The main difference is in the status of residence. This is especially important when traveling to countries with strict regulations of teaching and educational activities. For example, in the USA and the EU countries, and China too.

Be careful! If you are offered an “internship” but you “must” enter on a tourist or business visa, you are breaking the law with all the possible negative consequences. Many young people turn a blind eye to this, telling how great they went to France or the States, that "only three weeks" and "no one checks."

Maybe it is, but if they get caught, they can be deported and they will have to pay a decent fine. They will also be included in the blacklist, and these countries will be closed to the "guilty" for many years.


3. Work under the contract

Everything is simple here: the employer invites you to work, submits an application to the relevant authorities in his country, and if he receives permission, then you are given a work visa. An important point is the recognition of the diploma. Since the teaching profession is regulated in most countries, to obtain permission, you first need to legalize (nostrify) the diploma. Requirements vary in complexity from country to country. In general, this process takes time and effort.


Nostrification is a system for the verification of educational documents of foreign states, that is, the consent of the relevant state authorities on the validity of these documents on the territory of a given state. In "developing countries" this process is simpler (but also takes time), while in Europe, the USA, Canada, Australia it is more complicated. It is often possible to confirm your diploma only by completing additional training and passing a certification exam on-site.


In fact, of course, it is easier to find a job in Asia, Latin America, and Africa.


Although some of these countries may well compete with Europe or the United States in terms of living standards and salaries. For example, the United Arab Emirates or China. Contrary to the "hot news" and the prevailing opinion on the Internet, you can still get a Chinese work teacher visa.

Although there are more restrictions, legal grounds remain in the law. You just need to meet certain requirements and know how to go this way.

It is also important to understand that a trip abroad will require money: to prepare documents and a visa, to travel and settle in a new place, and there should always be a reserve "just in case". If you are provided with housing (and this is the largest expense item), this is a solid saving.

A pile of passports with visa stamps.

Businessman standing in the airport, waiting for hif flight.

Backpacker looking at a sunrise from the mountain.

Sunny beach on a tropical island.