Free European education for foreigners
The most popular programs among foreign students who come to study in Hungary are programs in computer science, international relations, medicine, economics, business, and engineering.
The scholarship program in Hungarian universities also enrolls a large number of students from countries such as China, Azerbaijan, USA, India, Pakistan, Jordan, Mongolia, Tunisia, and Vietnam. Fellows can choose from a variety of university study programs, including 460 programs in foreign languages.
What is Stipendium Hungaricum?
Stipendium Hungaricum is a Hungarian government scholarship program that has been in existence since 2013 and aims to promote student and cultural exchange between Hungary and the rest of the world.
Since 2015, Hungarian universities annually admit 200 bachelors, masters, and doctors from different countries of the world to study. The tuition fees are fully covered by the scholarship.
At the moment, this scholarship program gives international students the best opportunity to receive not only quality but also affordable education in the best educational institutions in Hungary.
At the same time, within the framework of the program, one can study not only in Hungarian but also in English, French, German, Spanish and Russian.
What does the scholarship include?
The Stipendium Hungaricum program covers almost all of the costs associated with a student’s study and residence abroad.
The scholarship includes:
Full coverage of the cost of studying at a Hungarian university;
- A monthly scholarship of € 130 (for undergraduate and graduate students) or € 450 – € 580 (for doctoral students);
- Free place in a university dormitory or a monthly payment for rent for about € 130 (at the student’s choice);
- Full coverage of the cost of health insurance.
How do I get a scholarship?
Foreigners who are already receiving higher education at one of the foreign universities can apply for participation in the Stipendium Hungaricum student exchange scholarship program.
The scholarship application process consists of two stages:
- Submission of documents to the Ministry of Education of your country.
- Since the scholarship program operates at the state level, the first stage is to submit the necessary documents to the Ministry of Education.
The package of documents should include:
- Letter of representation of the university signed by the rector or vice-rector;
- Curriculum Vitae of the student;
- A copy of the passport.
Submission of documents
To apply for a scholarship, you must register on the foundation’s website – www.tka.hu
Next, the student must complete an online application and indicate at least three Hungarian universities or study programs in which he would like to study. It is necessary to indicate universities and programs in order of priority, it is in this order that educational institutions will consider the student’s documents.
The following documents must be attached to the online application completed on the website:
- Copy of passport;
- Signed Scholarship Application;
- Copies of all available certificates, diplomas, and certificates;
- Grade transcript;
- Language Exam Certificate (depending on the language of instruction; TOEFL or IELTS);
- Motivation letter;
- Medical certificate;
- Research plan and recommendations (for doctoral programs);
- Portfolio (for art and music programs);
Note that all documents submitted to the Tempus Public Foundation must be translated into English.
Obtaining scholarship results
Hungarian universities review students’ documents in the spring, after which, in mid to late June, Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship recipients are informed of the successful selection.
After that, students begin the process of applying for student visas and arrive in Hungary for the start of classes in late August or September.
Some facts about Stipendium Hungaricum
- Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Program Involves 28 Universities Across Hungary;
- The vast majority of foreign students within the Stipendium Hungaricum choose; English-language study programs;
- According to statistics, international students are most often ranked 1st in the list of their priority universities by such educational institutions as the University of Debrecen, the Budapest University of Technology and Economics, and the Corvinus University;
- At the same time, the actual leaders in terms of the number of students enrolled in the Stipendium Hungaricum program are the University of Pecs, the University of Debrecen, and the University of Budapest.