In the 50s, you could automatically become a Spanish national if you married a Spanish citizen. But in 1975, there were reforms in the Spanish civil code and the application for naturalization by marriage changed completely.
Currently, the easiest way to become a Spanish citizen is by right of birth. If you were born in Spain and your parents are Spanish, then you are a legitimate citizen of Spain. However, the Spanish Civil Code stated procedures allow foreigners to get Spanish citizenship.
As a Spanish citizen, you have the right to live indefinitely in Spain, vote in Spanish elections, move freely, and work within the EU. If you are a foreigner who have lived in Spain for 10 years, you can get Spanish nationality by residency.
Fast-track to Spanish citizenship
You can speed up your citizenship application if you are married to a Spaniard. You can easily become a Spanish citizen after living in Spain for one year. The Spanish citizenship application is in line with the standard citizenship procedure. So, you don’t need to wait 10 years to apply.
When you marry a Spaniard, you can fast-track your citizenship application. You can become a Spanish citizen after living in Spain for just one year, only if you are married to a Spaniard.
The application and conditions you need to apply for citizenship by marriage in Spain have been explained in this article. You don’t need to wait for a decade to apply.
If citizenship by marriage is not an option for you, you can also become a resident of Spain by applying for the Spanish residence by investment program.
How to get Spanish citizenship by marriage
You can become a Spanish Citizen in less than 3 years. Yes, you can get a Spanish nationality without waiting for 10 years to naturalize. Then citizenship by marriage is by far the fastest way to become a Spanish national as a foreigner.
In Spain, foreigners are given citizenship after they’ve stayed in Spain for a year and married a Spanish citizen. For this process to work, you have to marry a Spanish Citizen. Then you will be given a Spanish residence permit, passport & ID card, and work authorization.
You need to be married to your spouse who must be a Spanish citizen for a year before you can start the citizen application process. The time starts counting the moment you get your residence card.
Citizenship by the marriage application processing
The application process for Spanish citizenship by marriage is very simple. You can submit your application online or submit your file in person, at the civil registry in Spain.
- You have to pay 100€ to begin your application procedure. The Spain government charges a non-refundable fee that is usually €60 to €100 to process your citizenship application. Your money cannot be returned even if your application is rejected.
- Then fill the form and submit certain documents. Make sure that you attach your registration fees may also apply to issue certificates and documents required for your application. You’ll also have to take a compulsory examination (DELE A2 and CCSE). Once you’ve done that, your application will be processed.
- Processing the application can take 2 to 3 years, but you will be informed when it is completed. If you are successful and your application is accepted, you will have to swear your loyalty and take a pledge of allegiance to the King. You must also promise to adhere to the Spanish constitution and laws.
After that, you will have to submit a written document that confirms your new status. Take the document to any police station for validation. Then you can obtain your passport and DNI.
If you want your application to be processed faster, you have to make sure that you and your spouse have the same address, you are financially stable, you don’t have any criminal record, and must have knowledge of the Spanish culture.
If you are married abroad, you must submit your marriage certificate and also make sure that your marriage is registered in Spain.
Contact our specialists to learn more about the options of immigration to Europe!
Before you can fully apply for Spanish citizenship by marriage, certain documentation is needed for your application to be processed. the Spanish law requires the following documentation:
- Marriage certificate;
- Complete Passport and NIE;
- Your birth certificate along with that of your spouse;
- The payment receipt your application process;
- Current census and historic (“padrón”);
- Your current residence permit;
- Criminal records, if any;
- DELE A2 and CCSE certificate;
- A document containing your financial status.
Dual citizenship in Spain
Unfortunately, Spain does not allow dual nationality. You will have to surrender your existing citizenship to become Spanish unless you are from a Spanish-American country, Portugal, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Sephardic Jews.
You can also get Spanish citizenship as the widower or widow of a Spaniard, but you must be married before his/her death.